The new computer is doing something odd. It is reading some .jpg files as HTML files. I looked into the collection of images I have transfered from Sluggo via CD, and many of the .jpgs (and some other image files as well) have been changed to HTML or other types of files, too. Irfanview lets me know that they have the wrong file extensions and asks if I wold like to change them, so they can be saved, but it would take forever to track them all down and change them one at a time.
The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is the fact that Netscape Navigator nabbed all the image files as soon as I opened them the first time after uploading them from the CD, and nabs all the new files I upload as well. I'm going to try re-associating all the image files on the computer with either Irfanview or Opera, and see if that restores all the original file extensions at once. From the beginning, I've thought there was something wonky about Netscape Navigator, and I've only used it a couple of times.
I'm still not fully adjusted to the time change, and things keep happening at what feels like the wrong time. I'm supposed to be doing something else right now, in fact. I'd better go do it.
edit: I made Opera the default browser, but it didn't associate image files with itself, so I associated them with Irfanview. It didn't correct the file extensions that were wrong, and some new image files that I've added are still being incorrectly identified as HTML files rather than .jpg files. It must be Windows XP itself which is doing this. I never had this problem with Windows 98. Computers. Feh.